Home / Claims

If you struggle with your mental health, you may be entitled to a range of welfare benefits. Disabilities caused by mental health problems are treated the same as physical disabilities in the benefits system.

If your mental health makes you too unwell to work; you are on a low income; or have care or mobility needs, you may be able to make a claim for one of these benefits.

We can guide you on how to start claiming and maintaining your benefits, including where to get further support and information. We can also support you through the appeals process where possible.

The benefits you may be entitled to include:

Universal Credit (UC) is a benefit for people of working-age who are on nil or low income.

It replaces six existing benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit.

The above six benefits are also known as legacy benefits.

Universal Credit is paid on a monthly basis and takes into account all of the money coming into your household.

New Style Employment Support Allowance (NSESA) is a benefit that you may be entitled to if you have paid enough national insurance contributions. This is aside from Universal Credit (UC) and you may have to make a claim for both NSESA and UC. Please make sure you contact BBMH before you make a claim for benefits to make sure that you are able to maximise your benefit income.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is money for people who have extra care needs or mobility needs (difficulty getting around) as a result of a disability.

There are two parts called components:

  • The daily living component, and
  • The mobility component.

You may qualify for one or both of them.

PIP is replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged 16+. In order to qualify for PIP you need to score either 8 points to qualify for the standard rate and 12 points for the enhanced rate. Points are awarded at assessment based on how your condition affects your ability to function across a number of areas. Contact BBMH to do a PIP assessment.

PIP is non means tested so can be invaluable to those who have long term disabilities, as it will not negatively impact work or benefits.

Attendance Allowance is money for people aged 65 or over who have care needs. You may have care needs if you need help with activities of daily living, such as getting dressed, going to the toilet or having someone to look after you so you do not hurt yourself.

It could include help outside the home. It does not matter if no one actually gives this help, as long as you can show you need it.

You can have any type of disability or illness, including sight or hearing impairments, or mental health issues such as dementia or depression.
Attendance Allowance does not cover mobility needs.

Attendance Allowance is non means-tested so your income and savings are not taken into account when assessing if you qualify for the benefit.

Claiming Attendance Allowance won’t reduce any other income you receive. If you’re awarded it, you may become entitled to other benefits, such as Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, or an increase in your entitlement.

By phone: Call the Oxfordshire Mind Information Line on 01865 247788 and ask to be directed to the Benefits Service (open Monday to Thursday, 9:30am to 4:30pm, Friday 9:30am to 4:00pm, closed bank holidays).

If the line is busy when you call please do leave us a message: we’ll aim to call back the same day, and we’ll never leave a message without your permission, if you want a message left please let us know in the voice message. If unable to contact you we will try several times to contact over a period of 48 hours.

By email: You can email the benefits team at and a benefits support worker will get back to you.

By post: You can write to us on BBMH, Oxfordshire Mind, 2 Kings Meadow, Osney Mead, Oxford, OX2 0DP.