Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Equality
We know from decades of research that inequality and discrimination in any form negatively impact people’s mental health. This impact has a domino effect on those indirectly affected by it, reducing the health and wellbeing of society as a whole.
As a mental health charity, we have a responsibility to address equity, diversity, inclusion and equality (EDIE) in our work. This is to ensure that the people we serve receive good mental health support, and that those working for our organisation – whether in a paid capacity or giving of their time voluntarily – have an environment in which they feel safe, confident to be themselves, and valued.
Our Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Equality (EDIE) vision and approach at Oxfordshire Mind is that:
We won’t give up on striving to be an ever-fairer, more inclusive organisation for those we serve and those we work with. This is because we believe that everyone deserves respect and to be valued equally, whatever their identity and story.
This approach is framed by six strategic aims.
- We will be open and transparent about our approach to challenging inequity in access to, experience and outcomes of mental health support, positively inviting challenge to develop our thinking and learning.
- We will take an evidence-based approach to setting our priorities and tracking our progress towards becoming an ever more representative organisation, reflecting the communities we serve through our staff, volunteer, trustee, and service user make up
- We will develop our Human Resources (HR), Volunteering and Trustee Recruitment processes to attract and retain more diverse talent, continuing to monitor access to pay and progression opportunities so we can address any inequalities within our organisation.
- We will equip our workforce with the skills, capabilities, and support to advance equity, diversity, inclusion and equality.
- Our services will be co-designed, co-developed and monitored to reflect the diversity of communities we aim to support.
- We will offer and promote services in inclusive ways.
If you’d like to share your views on EDIE and Oxfordshire Mind, or if you have any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org